Clinical Associate Professor
Lubin School of Business
New York City
One Pace Plaza Accounting, W 465
PhD, New York University (NYU), New York, NY
Higher and Post-Secondary Education and Business Education
MS, University of Miami, Miami, FL
BBA, Pace University, New York. NY
Academic and Professional Engagement Activities
Steven S. Mezzio, PhD, CPA, is a former partner with PwC, and is currently a full-time clinical associate professor of accounting for the Pace University Lubin School of Business. He is the faculty advisor for two business honors student organizations: Beta Alpha Psi (2014–Present), and Beta Gamma Sigma (appointed 2018). In 2018, he was appointed Executive Director of the business school's Center for Excellence in Financial Reporting. He holds the following professional certifications: CPA, CIA, CISA, CISSP, CCSA, and FSA I.
Dr. Mezzio received his PhD in 2017 from New York University (NYU), specializing in higher education administration and workplace learning; a master's in public accounting from the University of Miami; and a BBA in accounting from Pace University. Prior professional services experience includes the following:
• PwC: Audit staff to Partner at PwC, serving in the audit and assurance practice, national audit methodology and quality group, and the risk and internal audit consulting services group.
• RGP: Global leader of governance, risk, and SOX compliance services and co-leader of the key account–management group for RGP, a public company (RECN) that was originally a division of Deloitte.
From 2002 to 2011, he was an adjunct professor while working full-time in professional services. In 2012, he joined as a full-time clinical assistant professor of accounting while at the same time enrolled in a doctoral (PhD) program at NYU (graduated in 2017). In 2016 he was promoted to associate professor. In 2018 he was appointed executive director of the Lubin School of Business Center for Excellence in Financial Reporting.
• Teaching: Specializes in audit/assurance, COSO, internal controls, ERM, and sustainability. Also teaches advanced accounting; information systems; accounting for international exchange program students; courses helping freshmen acclimate to university life; course coordinator for courses in ERM and internal auditing.
• Innovation: Developed courses in ERM. Developing a course in fundamentals of sustainability reporting. Led transformation of the Student Engagement and Relationship faculty committee.
• Research: AICPA Journal of Accountancy Editorial Advisory Board. Editorial Advisor, The CPA Journal. Published research on business school sales of non-degree executive education (2016). Published articles appearing in: Strategic Risk; Internal Auditor; IT Audit; and Journal of Corporate Accounting & Finance.
• Service: Faculty Committees: Curriculum | Student Engagement | Academic Standards | Constitution
• Student Engagement/Mentoring: Faculty advisor for two national business honors student organizations: Beta Alpha Psi (BAP) and Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS). Faculty advisor for student team participating in the Deloitte Audit Innovation Campus Challenge. Created the Pace Chess Club in 2018.
In 2011 he founded Sebastian Tommas Consulting (STc) LLC to provide advisory services in governance, higher education, sustainability, and training. His current roles and experience include the following.
• Community Board of Advisors, PBS Channel Thirteen
• Audit Committee advisor, Ovarian Cancer Research Fund Alliance
• National instructor, AICPA, COSO Internal Controls Certificate CPE Program
• NYSSCPA Foundation for Accounting Education, Board of Trustees, president, EVP, and trustee
• NYU School of Professional Studies (SPS), global executive certificates, adjunct program developer
• UN (United Nations) Global Compact, member of the PRME Working Group on The Sustainability Mindset
Dr. Mezzio is a frequent speaker on a range of topics, including the following.
• 2018: American Accounting Association (AAA) National Conference, Data Analytics in the Audit Process https://bit.ly/2JeByWZ
• 2017: NYSSCPA web-based panel discussion, Fake Earnings: Perspective on Non-GAAP Earnings https://bit.ly/2JfEkLH
• 2017: Columbia University Symposium Panel on Auditing Sustainability Development Goals (SDGs) https://bit.ly/2JiEdiJ
• 2015: AAA Conference on Teaching and Leaning in Accounting (CTLA) joint proposal with Morgan Stanley on Embedding Data Analytic Learning in a Flipped Classroom (was selected for the CTLA)
Previous service roles included the following: CPA Exam Content Committee member during the recent radical transformation of the CPA exam (2012–2016); Center for Audit Quality (CAQ) SEC Regulations Committee member (2013–2016); member of a cohort that contributed to the creation of the SASB's first certification examination (2013–2016); member of Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) International Auditing Standards Board.
Selected Contributions & Publications
Mezzio, S. (2016). ProQuest.
Mezzio, S., Brown, B. (2008). In the Wake of SocGen. .
Mezzio, S., Lanza, R. (2005). A Two Step Testing Process. Internal Auditor.
Mezzio, S., Lanza, R. (2004). Sarbanes-Oxley Project Management. IT Audit.
Mezzio, S. (2018).